Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Harvest date estimate
Post Harvest date estimate 
I'm one of those absent-minded gardeners who sow their seeds, then lose track of how long I need to wait before I harvest my radishes, beets, carrots, lettuce, and most other veggies, causing me to wind up with a lot of past-their-prime or bitter veggies. Embarassed

If it isn't too difficult to do, it would be helpful to have a field in the Plant Information window for entering the Days to Harvest value from seed packets (or have a default average value for each type of crop), and then have an Estimated Harvest Date (calculated from Days to Harvest + Planting Date) displayed either in the Plant Information window, or as a column in the Harvest tab.

Last edited by causticmuse on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Beleive it or Not 
I used to have two additional fields in the Plant Information window in a very early alpha release of the software. The fields where removed when I thought they may be responsible for part of the slow rendering and because I didn't do anything with them (way before I hard a harvest tab).

Now with the niffty harvest tab and a better interface to handle them, I think I can revisit this. I have other items higher on the priority list now, but I will get to this somewhere down the road.

Each year I get a bit better timing out when to plant different items so I don't have 20 head of broccoli ready at once and nothing a week later. But I want to better hone this skill and add in factors. I know I can grow lettuce in the winter here, but it grows slower than molasses, so I need to know when to start lettuce in the winter as opposed to the summer.

So hang onto that thought and know that it is in the mix.

Thanks,
Roy

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
I had just come to the forums to request this feature-- looks like I am not the only one who can be a little absent-minded. Look forward to seeing it available. Thanks for the awesome software BTW.

Post New harvest estimator 
Well now you have it. You can see when you should be harvesting items in your harvest tab.

I took some preliminary data from http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/ which has agreed to let me use thier database as a starting point. This gives only VERY ROUGH estimates for each plant type. Since harvest estimates vary widely, I don't think this is terribly useful, but you can update the informaiton according to what your seed package says or you cam use Cornell's database to get a more accurate number. Make any adjustments per plant in the Plant Info window according to your location, weather and your own experience and you can then view it on the harvest tab by clicking on two new buttons on the top right side of the window.

Hope this is what you are looking for.
Next I am off to work on a vegetable editor that will allow you to customize the vegetables that appear in the vegetable editor AND have more realistic estimates of day to maturity/harvest.

Remember that even the best seed packages are only estimages and based on typical conditions. If you live in an area that is less than idea, or you plant too early, have bad weather, etc. this estimate may be WAY off. For me I have to add about one month to most seed packages because I don't get enough sun (too much fog).

Thanks,
Roy

Very Happy Thanks so much for putting that feature in-- it is going to be a big help!!

Post Small problem with harvest estimator 
Um, I tried out the harvest estimator (a very useful feature!) and there are a couple problems. First, it didn't show up at all the first time I went in (very first, I did layout, veg, checked the harvest estimator - and saw nothing). So I closed the application, then went in later, and the estimates showed up. Then I did some manipulation, and the green bands did change...but I also clicked on the Vegetables column to resort them (because some of the same things weren't together - the two varieties of strawberry were mixed together, for instance - probably in order of creation) and the harvest estimates didn't move with their associated vegetable. Actual harvest dates did move (the wheelbarrows) but the green bands didn't.

Also - every time I resorted the vegetables, they came out in a different order - not just reversing top to bottom, remixing varieties. None of my varieties were on your list - I'm not sure that is relevant, but it might be.

I tried closing and reopening the application - the harvest estimator wasn't on when I reopened, but when I clicked it, the estimates came up correct. However, the vegetables had gotten resorted yet again (to mixed varieties), and an actual harvest had gotten attached to the wrong object (to a Quinalt strawberry instead of a Sequoia). I deleted and recreated it attached to the right one.

Tried it again - the vegetables are in creation order when I reopen, but the harvests (not the estimates, the actual harvests) stay on the same rows they were when I closed the application - and therefore get attached to whatever is there. Whoops!

Thank you for this application. It looks very useful!

Post New bug found in harvesting. 
I think I know what you are seeing. Let me look into this and see if I can figure it out and how to fix it.
It may take me a few days to get to this, so hold on. It should work as long as you don't sort it.

I have several features that I want to add in the harvest estimator while I am working on it.

Later,
Roy

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1