Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Transplanting cucumbers
Post Transplanting cucumbers 
So my co-worker brought me a cucumber seelding, but it's VERY leggy - probably about 4-5" above the soil is the first leaves. I told him I think it might be too leggy already and he said when I plant it just put 1/2 or more of the stem in the ground.

Now, i've read and have heard of doing this with tomatoes, but what about cucumbers? What other plants could I do this with?

I think this is is what happened to my current cukes and zukes, they were too leggy when I transplanted them and too much of the stem rested on the ground.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Transplanting stem below ground 
Be very careful not to apply things from one vegetable to others.

Tomatoes are special because those hairs that you see on the stem can become roots.

Remember that sometimes the roots are not just there to collect water and nutrients, but they also need to breath.

While I can't find a URL link to back me up, I know cucumbers have a shallow root system and I don't think will do well if they are buried too deep.

How much and how long per day did your seedlings get light and what type of light. Being in a window sill may not be enough and they should only be indoors for 3-4 weeks max.

If you want to try, because I am skeptical, only try ONE and bury half the stem underground and compare to one that is transplanted at root level.

So nice not to be limited by 140 char of Twitter Cool

That's what I thought about the tomatoes - thanks for confirming that.

My seedlings were inside for no omre then 2-3 weeks, it was a while back so i cant remember. I would ttake them outside and put them under our gazeebo for most of the day when I could. They are leggy and a portion of the main stem "lays" across the ground a few inches, as will this new seedling.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1