Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
New member from Maryland
Post New member from Maryland 
Hello all! My roommate and I have decided to put in a veggie garden this year and although we have had smaller ones and also had some tomatoes in a flower bed last year this will be the largest (and still relatively small 10' x 8') area we will have ever planted. I've shared our garden (which is just a plan right now!) and welcome any suggestions or comments. The back edge of the garden is bounded by a stockade fence. It is a raised bed garden. My biggest concern is that we might be too energetic with the excitement of having a nice garden and perhaps have overdone quantities. There are a few things we could do without in here..so have at it! thanks, be gentle.

BJ

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Ideas for your garden 
If you are planing garlic you want to get that in the ground as soon as you can work the soil. I plant garlic in the fall and garlic as a bulb can survive all but the hardest ground freezes.

Cucumber is a plant that can go wild when it does well. You might want to move it to the edge so it can spill over an edge if it likes.

The plant spacing in Plangarden shows you how much room the plant needs to do well, but you may need some room to move around the plant or to harvest.

Idea. Plant the carrots and spinach together they will be done early and will give you room to move around other plants.

Bottom line is you are growing what you want to eat. You will learn from your own experiences and taylor your techniques to what works for you, the space you have and the time you have.

Keep use informed as to how it goes and post either here or in your own blog. Send email to support is another way to get help.

-Roy

Good suggestions and I will make the cuke, spinach and carrot changes as you suggested. We just had amended topsoil delivered today so I hope to get it moved to the garden by the end of the week and garlic planted soon from bulbs. I'm very excited about having a veggie garden this year and looking forward to some wonderful fresh salads. I hope we will also have enough of some things to share with family or friends.

BJ

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1