Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
We have been attacked !!! Baby Woodchucks
Post We have been attacked !!! Baby Woodchucks 
Sad
Bye Bye to most of my Collards, Lettues, Spinach, Cabbage, & Broccoli. I have to make a better fence.

You know what I want to do, but I just took out our Have a Heart instead.

Wish me good Trapping !!

Jenn

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
I know the feeling about the woodchucks. They are destructive little devils!!
My Hav-A-Hart is getting a good workout so far this year too. I've caught 3 adults already this year.

Good luck with your trapping!!

John

Post Cat vs Woodchuck 
I have a cat that seems to have been getting (and sharing) small rodents.
Not sure, but I don't think my cat is any match for a woodchuck, even a baby.
Good luck

Post woodchucks are not babys anymore 
I found a spray that you are to put on your plant and around the area called Groundhog Repellent (chucks are in the same family) made from Messina Wildlife.com and its approved for Organic Growers and is suppose to last for 30 days. I found it at a local nursey that have just about everything. I was lucky that they also still Collards, Zucchini, Cabbage, and Broccoli.

Well it worked for about 2 weeks and than I started see that veggies were missing.

I also found out that somepeople use peanut shells in their traps. Well they must not like my shells because I haven't gotten one. Not one woodchuck !

We were more worried about the deer so we installed fencing more for deer, well we will do a better job with the fence next year. $$$

I resprayed on Wed. and on Sat chased a big one out. this morning I was weeding alittle and saw that I only Have Tomatoes, Corn, (that are growing well)Peppers, eggplant, and 3 collard plant and 2 zucchini left. Everything I just replanted or just reseeded 2weeks agoe are gone. I took a good look around me and just walk out of the garden wanting to cry.

I have some pots up by the house w/tomatos and herbs I think I am going to seed some lettues, rabbie, collards and more herbs.

I expect some loss it goes with the garden but I put alot of money into the Veggies and buying replacement than the time but thats.. nothing I did the garden because I was trying to save $ for the winter grocery bill thats not working out.

I found gardening very relaxing when I wasn't thinking of my little friends.

If anyone has any other thoughts to help thanks
Jennifer

Post Woodchuck and BBQ Sauce 
I am sure that BBQ Sauce and a rotisserie over a medium heat would seem tempting about now. Twisted Evil

When I deal with gophers, I know I must be careful not to handle or touch things that I use to trap them or discourage them because they are sensitive to human smell. It is best to us gloves when handling food, such as peanut shells so it doesn't smell like humans. Also, you may want to try a small dab of peanut butter as I know that is used as bait for many rodents and will have a stronger oder then just the shells. Peanut butter on a chunk of wood should do the trick.

One thing that I found a while back that worked for above ground pests was a sprinkler head that you hook up to a garden hose that has a motion sensor on it. When anything passes in front of the sprinkler it gives a blast of 8 seconds along with that noisey sprinkler head sound. It has worked well for me to keep racoons and opossums out of my garden. It is pricey. About $40+ for one unit, but I move it all around my garden. It also worked on my son and a friend that walked in front of it when it was armed. I have been hit a time or two myself Surprised

Here are some solutions that I found that are similar to some I have seen for gophers and other rodents.

One method is to plant species which repel woodchucks, such as gopher plant (Euphorbia lathyrus) or crown imperial fritillary (F. imperialis) around the garden.

Allowing a pet dog access to the planted area may also help deter woodchuck visits.

Repeated treatment of the planted area with various repellents such as fox or coyote urine, diluted Tabasco sauce or red pepper flakes, or scattered human hair are other reported deterrents. I have found and used fox urine that I found it as a power. It did seem to work for a while.

When I as a boy I remember deer destroying an entire crop of tomatoes that we needed for the winter. I remember my dad getting a hunting license and then a couple deer. To complete the revenge my mom labeled the deer stew that she canned as "Tomatoes" . That winter when she said, "Go get a can of tomatoes" we all knew what she meant. I would not say that revenge tasted sweet, but it did fill our bellies during the long cold winter.

I wish you the best of luck!!! May you find one, if not many ways to keep the woodchucks away.

Post Thank You !!! 
Thanks for all the tips. We will reset the trap with gloves on and some peanut butter.

I love the story about your Mother and the tomatoes. I don't think I'll be making any wood chuck stew but I do understand her. Thanks
Jennifer

Post Woodchuck Trap Bait 
Jennifer,
Have you tried slices of apple in your trap?

I've tried many things as bait over the years, and slices of apple are what works best for me in trapping woodchucks. I've caught (and relocated) 8 woodchucks so far this year!!

Also, I have the motion sensing sprinkler units Roy mentioned (3 of them), and they work great for the deer, raccons, cats, etc., but do not deter the woodchucks at all.

Best of luck with your woodchuck problem!!

John

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1