Post Raised Beds 
Hi,

It would be nice to have information on gardening with
raised beds Question Question
And how to lay them out with this program Exclamation Question

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Raised beds 
Hi,

All of my beds are either raised beds or wine barrels.
We have a VERY bad problem with gophers here and it is the only way I can safely garden.
There is chicken wire or metal fencing under all my gardens.

Please let me know what questions you have and how you want to proceed as you are my kind of gardener.

As for as techniques, I use a hybrid between square-foot gardening and Ed Smith's WORD gardening. Depending on what I am planting and where.

Regards,
Roy

I'm a raised bed gardener myself -- but to warm the soil not because of pests. This year since we got a late start due to not finding out we got a garden at our community garden until fairly late in the spring. I didn't worry about laying out the beds themselves in plangarden and just used the grid in plangarden and my measuring tape to lay out the rows. If you look at my garden -- which is shared -- you should be able to sort of see what I did -- dropped a set of plants down where the rows are.

As for plangarden, I think my ideal would be the following:

1. Have a way to lay out a raised bed. Maybe a modification to the layout tool with a box that could be checked to indicate that the given area was a raised bed.
2. Have a small notes pane associated with the bed kind of like for the plant selector. Even just a way to name or designate a bed and then a small spot for some notes so that I can record when I turned the soil, what sort of fertilizing it's gotten (i.e. I put some manure in several of my beds this year, so I don't want to plant potatoes in those beds next year), and whether some or all of the row has some sort of mulch on it.

David

PS: Thanks for the pointer on the WORD gardening. I'll have to look it up. I tried square foot gardening techniques this year and they work for some things here, but not for others. My cold weather crop patch is starting to resemble a rainforest planted as close together as it is.

Thanks so much for you input, which was great.
Having raised beds is really nice I think because of being able to
plant so much more in them.
Also much easier on the old back!
Stay in touch?
Cheer's,
Gail

Post Displaying raised beds in Plangarden 
Hi Gail and rabrog -

To differentiate a raised bed from a regular garden plot, in the "Lay Out Plot" tab, you can try the following:

1. Add a rectangle, measuring say, 8.5 x 4.5 (slightly larger than your raised bed). Choose the darkest brown color from the palette (or any you want)
2. Add another rectangle but smaller, say, 8 x 4, and drag this smaller rectangle on top of the larger rectangle. Choose a different color for this smaller rectangle.
3. The order in which a shape stays "on top" or "in front" is the most recently added shape.

The result of the overlaying rectangles with different colors will show a border that should visually help differentiate the raised bed from a normal garden plot.

I've attached a jpg file to show how I did this. Make sure you don't move your existing layout if they're populated with veggies because any changes to the layout may mess up your garden (i.e. the veggies don't "stay" on the plot. It's something that Roy is thinking of adding as an option).

Another "easier" option is to just use the "TEXT" box and label your rectangular raised bed as "Raised Bed #1" or whatever name you choose. I have a bunch of 1/2 wine barrels as my raised beds and have named them all after wine grapes!

Hope this was helpful. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Happy Gardening and Independence Day!
Giselle

raisedbed_example.jpg
 Description:
Overlay 2 rectangles of different sizes to show "raised beds"
 Filesize:  40.41 KB
 Viewed:  20707 Time(s)

raisedbed_example.jpg

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for next year as I'm happy with what I did this year and after harvest is over this year, our garden plot is going to be getting some major dirt work done that will completely change it for next year. That would definitely work better in terms of visually laying out things than what I did this year.

David

Sorry I have not been on the computer lately, But had an accident and now recuperating from surgery [rods and 14 srcews in my back. So will be a while before I am back gardening!

This is going to drive me crazy to say the least. Things are in flower here Daffodils Magnolia's most flowering trees and of coarse the weeds are all growing. If only everything else would grow like the darn weeds? But would like to stay in touch with you.
Happy Gardening to all.

Post Raise beds and bad backs. 
That is not any fun at all. My wife had major back surgery.
I know she has three rods in her back and the recovery took a long time.
I wish you well having had seen someone recover from this before, but thankfully never had to have something so tramatic done to myself.
Good luck and I wish you a speedy full recovery.

Post circular raised beds 
I would like the square foot grid for circular beds.
Thanks DAN

Post Round Grids 
Interesting thought.
Let me look into that.
It may not be too hard.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1