Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
look at my share garden
Post look at my share garden 
Hello - did you look at my garden field? What do you think? Any recommend to change, let me know. That is my first time to have a garden.
Thanks for help. Richard

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Good sized garden - It looks like it have fun gardening. 
On the technical side, it looks like you created the right sized garden and because it moved it off screen you probalby didn't know that the scale is set wrong so I kind of have to guess at the spacing between plants. You are going to hate this, but if you go back to plot layout and hit "Auto Size Garden Area button near the bottom of the screen. BAD NEWS. You would have to move every row one at a time. If you want I would do this for you since you have no manual YET. Just let me know.

On the garden side here are some of my comments. Mind you I take my gardening seriously, and particpated since I was a kid, but now I am stuck with a smaller urban garden.

Corn. Grows really talls and can shadow other plants in the middle of summer. Corn LOVERS water so you want to make sure it is in a place that will get lots. If you know how the sun tracks along your garden in summer, you will know where the shadows will be. If the edge that they are on cast the shadow off the garden, then there are no worries.

Watermelon (also big water lovers) can sprawl out and take up lots of space. Most tomatotes are indeterminate which means they grow as big as they can too, just make sure there is enough room to walk around. I can not grow watermelons in my climate, so I am envyous. I LOVED fresh watermelon as a kid.

Zucchini can be very prolific. I will start several plants in TWO mounds to make sure some survive (maybe 4-6 seeds I have snails that can get to young plants) When they start getting thorny I kill back all but two or three plants MAXIUM!! I have a family of three and by the end of the season my wife still threatens to use any large one as a club and beat me if I bring it in the house. If you have three hills of zucchini, that can make sure that at least two hills get going, but be warned if you have three seeds take off in each hill you might end up with too many zucchini.

Dig a trench or hole for Potatoes, maybe 8 inches deep. Plant the potato in the bottom and cover with a couple inches of soil. When the potato is 8 inches high put 4 inches of dirt on top of it. As it grows repeat. No Potato will develop below the bottom potato and the burried potato turns to roots that can develop potatoes. I grow potatoes in bins, they don't do as well as the ones in the ground ( I am still working on that one) but harvesting is easier because I just dump the bin over.

Plant carrot seeds thicker than you want, and pull the small ones when they are maybe 2-3 inches high carrots don't germinate as well if you plant a single seed each 2-3 inches I have read this and also experienced it.

Anyway, just a few things that I can think of looking at your garden and my experience and book reading.

Happy gardening.
Roy

Post Re: Good sized garden - It looks like it have fun gardening. 
Hi Roy - Thank you for explain a whole things about my garden field. I am very listen what you had done with your garden in the past.

Okay, first, yes you are right. I noticed that area are small and I have no clue. Yes, you may change/doing for me. If you are recommend or something to change, let me know. I will please with that. That reason is, as you see many flat plant on top (south side), mean where the sun from sunrise to sunset from east to west. The corn field is north side. Our plant start on that garden this Friday, which is carrot, beet, etc. The tomatoes start in May.

Corn. Grows really talls and can shadow other plants in the middle of summer. Corn LOVERS water so you want to make sure it is in a place that will get lots. If you know how the sun tracks along your garden in summer, you will know where the shadows will be. If the edge that they are on cast the shadow off the garden, then there are no worries.-----Yes, that reason I put the corn in the corner, because when the rain come and the water have small creek on the grass field will go to the corn in the corner.

Watermelon (also big water lovers) can sprawl out and take up lots of space. Most tomatotes are indeterminate which means they grow as big as they can too, just make sure there is enough room to walk around. I can not grow watermelons in my climate, so I am envyous. I LOVED fresh watermelon as a kid.----How big space are you recommened to put the watermelon. Yes, I knew that will be growing biggest, but I just want to know what size. My garden size is 42 by 62. The tomatoes, I put between four feet apart, yes, it will be easier for us to walk around the cage.

Zucchini can be very prolific. I will start several plants in TWO mounds to make sure some survive (maybe 4-6 seeds I have snails that can get to young plants) When they start getting thorny I kill back all but two or three plants MAXIUM!! I have a family of three and by the end of the season my wife still threatens to use any large one as a club and beat me if I bring it in the house. If you have three hills of zucchini, that can make sure that at least two hills get going, but be warned if you have three seeds take off in each hill you might end up with too many zucchini.---Sound interesting...I try that one.

Dig a trench or hole for Potatoes, maybe 8 inches deep. Plant the potato in the bottom and cover with a couple inches of soil. When the potato is 8 inches high put 4 inches of dirt on top of it. As it grows repeat. No Potato will develop below the bottom potato and the burried potato turns to roots that can develop potatoes. I grow potatoes in bins, they don't do as well as the ones in the ground ( I am still working on that one) but harvesting is easier because I just dump the bin over.-----Hey, you got an idea! I think that will be much easier to use the bin than shove the ground to find the potatoes. I never thought that one. I am trying to find the bins and fill up the top soil and grown. Then push the bin fall to the ground and pick up the potatoes. I think we will love it. THANK YOU! Can I use blue plastic like 55 gallon? Any holes on the bottom? What you suggest me to do with first thing in the bin, rock or soil or sand or anything?

Again, thank you very much for help me out. I am support with that idea.

Keep in touch
Richard

Post Rescalled garden and you have lots of room now 
Richard,

I went back and Auto Sized your garden. This moved it to the center of the screen and set the scale so you can use the tape measure that is on the screen to measure your garden.

For example. I put the carrots and radishes so there is one foot between them (you could probably squeese them even a bit closer because they don't have a large root structure. I then spread things out. Now you can see you have several feet around the canteloupe.

You might want to move the cucumber back around the cantelope. Both like water and to spread out. Easier to get to and pick zucchini too.

Anyway I didn't do too much. I think you will be able to play more with your layout and figure where you want paths to walk around and do weeding and harvesting from.

55 gallon plastic containers will work GREAT!! Yes you need LOTS of big holes in the container for drainage. Potatoes don't like to be water logged. Potatoes grow great in sand or soil. Don't think I would try rocks though.

Happy gardening.
Thanks,
Roy

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1